By Nick Johnson - November 23rd, 2010
Hi everyone, It has taken me four days, but I'm finally able to sit down and do a short blog on last week's Corporate Social Media Summit. There's a more thorough review in the works but it's not q...
It has taken me four days, but I'm finally able to sit down and do a short blog on last week's Corporate Social Media Summit. There's a more thorough review in the works but it's not quite done yet.
I will be sharing more content (slides, audio recordings) in due course, but today I wanted to just share a few 'nuggets' of best practice that were thrown up in our sessions last Wednesday and Thursday.
- From Psion's CMO: "If you're not proactively listening, you will get caught out"
- "A new job title is born: Brand Editor. A comment from @pdxsays in response to "Brand management is dead, brand editorship is taking over" from Justin Kistner at Webtrends
- The shelf-life of applications and tabs on Facebook is 10 - 14 days. Then they need refreshing. Again, Justin Kistner at Webtrends.
- "Social media is not a campaign, it's a commitment" Possibly the most retweeted phrase from the conference - from JP Erkkola at Nokia
- "Social media needs to sustain conversation over time - though specific campaigns can come and go" - according to Stuart Handley at Dell
- "Let's have no strategy and try anything" - another very popular subject for retweeting, this time from Vicente Marti, interim CMO at OpenSkies, BA's business-only airline.
- More than 2 corporate Facebook status updates per day and people will start to unfriend you, according to Kelly Feller at Intel
- "An agency may give you strategic direction, but only you can sound sincere and authentic when it comes to social media" Vicente Marti again
- "Message for all corporates - when crisis hit, everyone went to Google first" - according to Colin Hensley, GM for Comms at Toyota Motor Europe
- "Social media is just media" - Colin Hensley again
- 62% of all online opinion about products are posted on Facebook, according to Hubert Grealish from TomTom
I hope you find the above useful. As I say, I'll check back in to share slides from particular speakers, and will generate a few podcasts of the best speeches for you all. If you'd like to stay updated on when these will be released just drop your email address below 'Get our Tuesday Update" on the right.
Until next time!